Chester in Bloom
Flowers bloom across Chester city centre!
Every year from late spring to early autumn the streets of Chester city centre are lush with colour as over 180 flower towers, barrier baskets and lamp post displays are installed at key locations and on Chester’s iconic Rows.
This initiative has proven so popular that it has become an annual program linked to summer events, activities and promotions across the city centre.
In past years the Chester in Bloom program has included FREE Family Film Screenings at Grosvenor Museum, Bumblebees & Butterflies city-wide trail, specially made sculptures of bees, butterflies and flowers hanging across city streets, #BEEFriendlyChester activities in the Grosvenor Shopping Centre, social media competitions and much more.
Chester BID has been awarded a silver gilt by the judges for North West in Bloom for the stunning floral displays and links to community activities.
Carl Critchlow, BID Manager at Chester BID, said: “We are delighted to have achieved the silver gilt award and would like to thank those businesses that got behind the campaign with their own displays, which added even more colour to our high street.”
“This was a magnificent effort and testament to what can be achieved when everybody pulls together for the benefit of the city.”
- North West in Bloom administers the Royal Horticultural Society’s Britain in Bloom competition and judges will visit Chester as part of the scheme, which is designed to encourage community groups to brighten up their town or city through floral displays.
- In past years the planters have been filled with colourful fuchsias, petunias, begonias and bacopas and placed throughout Frodsham Street, Foregate Street and Grosvenor Street.
- Each summer during school holidays BID has facilitated a children’s trail through Chester city centre, linking to the North West In Bloom entry and involving 50+ businesses.
- Gardening sessions have also taken place for city centre businesses in the grounds of Chester Cathedral as part of the North West in Bloom award entry.
- Chester BID provides funding for the displays annually, which are placed throughout the summer as part of the BID’s objective to create a world class welcome in Chester city centre.
Cheshire West and Chester Council’s team of landscape experts will maintain the flowers during the coming months, ensuring they’re in full blossom for the arrival of the North West in Bloom judges.
“The community and local businesses in Chester have really pulled together this year to enhance the centre of the city. The planting schemes have been exceptional.”
Clare Morgan, Business Manager at McDonald’s
“We’ve really enjoyed planting the floral displays in Chester and are pleased to see how stunning they look in the city centre. It’s great to be able to share the beautiful blooms with Cestrians and visitors and we look forward to seeing what the North West in Bloom judges make of our efforts.”
Rebecca Bradbury, Store Manager at Wilko